Saturday, July 16, 2016

5 Must-Read Books for Back to School


It's that bitter sweet time of year for teachers as we realize that summer is drawing to a close, and we begin the excitement of prepping for a new school year. 

As you start your planning be sure to check out these five must-read books for back to school.



First Day Jitters is a no-brainer for back to school. You and your students will relate to this tale of being nervous on the first day of school. The great thing about this book is that it opens the door to some great discussions about how students are feeling about the new school year.

You can get this book from Amazon here. Be sure to check out my mini-lesson and activities that go along with this book in my TPT store.


What classroom hasn't had it's share of tattling?!?? Nip this issue in the bud at the start of the school year by reading A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue. 

You can get this book from Amazon here. Check out my mini-lesson and tattling strategies that go along with this book in my TPT store


Student conflict can be a huge problem in some classrooms especially as the year progresses. Teach students the bug and a wish strategy for conflict management. When conflicts arise teach students to communicate these issues by saying, "It bugs me when you______________. I wish you would __________." 

You can get this book from Amazon here. Also check out my mini-lesson and conflict management activity to help students practice the bug and wish strategy in my TPT store


How I Spent My Summer Vacation is a fun story to get to know your students and learn about what they did over summer break. You can also begin teaching students some basic reading and writing review and introduce them to exaggeration. 

You can get the book from Amazon here. Be sure to check out my back to school writing activities using this story in my TPT store


Blurting out can be a huge issue especially at the beginning of the year. Help students learn to talk in turn with My Mouth is a Volcano. 

You can get the book from Amazon here. Be sure to check out all of my beginning of the year resources in my TPT store to set yourself up for success this school year!


I hope you have found this blog post helpful. To stay connected with Carly and Adam's teaching tips and classroom freebies be sure to follow us on FacebookPinterestTeachers Pay Teachers, and subscribe to our blog!


We would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave your feedback in the comments. We can't wait to connect with you!


-Carly


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE all the books you have suggested! I always read First Day Jitters and My Mouth is a Volcano!!!

    ReplyDelete