Friday, May 8, 2015

How I Keep my Sanity at the End of the School Year

The end of the year for a teacher is rough. I'm there. I get it. 

No matter how effective my classroom management system is the end of the year always brings a little craziness. The students can smell summer on the horizon! I can too!

This year, rather than just playing defense, I decided to go to the offensive. I can't micromanage every student when they know the end is near. Why not just join them? Why not celebrate a little? It's important that I reward the students for all of their hard work and growth this year.



I created the Balloon Countdown to have a little fun. I made it available for FREE.

How it works:
  1. Cut out the reward cards. 
  2. Place one card inside each balloon before inflating. 
  3. Inflate the balloons with a card in each one.
  4. Number the balloons the number of days remaining in the school year.
  5. Tape balloons to a poster board and hang them in the classroom in order counting down.
  6. At the end of each day, 1 student is selected to pop the balloon and read the activity.
  7. The students complete the activity at the end of the next day.
It's so fun! My kids love it! We started at day 20 in the countdown. I let my students brainstorm ideas of what to put inside the balloons. We came up with 12 different party ideas, so we are doubling up on some like popcorn party, glow stick dance party (my students' favorite), and movie party.

Do they get the party every day? Not all students do. In order to participate in the activity, students need to complete their work for the day and demonstrate self control. This activity has been a great motivator to encourage my students to finish off the year strong.

I hope your students enjoy this as much as mine do!

In the comments, please share:

What do you do to keep your sanity at the end of the year?

-Carly

I hope you have found this blog post helpful. To stay connected with Carly and Adam's teaching tips and classroom freebies be sure to follow us on FacebookPinterestTeachers Pay Teachers, and subscribe to our blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment