Sunday, August 30, 2015

Teaching Students How to Pick a Just Right Book

Research shows that to increase achievement in reading students need to read books at their independent level. We often refer to these books as just right books. This is an important skill that students need to be taught during the first few weeks of school. 



Before I am able to test each student's reading level at the beginning of the year I teach my students how to pick out just right books using the five finger rule.

How do you use the five finger rule?

1.) Students will select a book that interests them.

2.) Students will turn to a random page with text.

3.) Students will hold up a fist and begin reading.

4.) For each word that students come to that they are unsure of they hold up a finger.

4.) When students get to the end of the page they look at how many fingers they are holding up.


5.) The bookmarks above show what the amount of fingers mean. The majority of books students read independently should be in the 2-3 finger range. 


For the full lesson plan, anchor chart, worksheet, and student bookmarks click on the pictures.

What is your favorite way to teach students about just right books?

-Carly

I hope you have found this blog post helpful. To stay connected with Carly and Adam's teaching tips and classroom freebies be sure to follow us on FacebookPinterestTeachers Pay Teachers, and subscribe to our blog!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the help! I just finished my first year teaching and I tried my best to teach "just right" books. This is a great way for students to choose a book. I really like the five finger rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! The first year is always the hardest. I'm so glad you found this post helpful. Enjoy your summer, and good luck with next school year!

      Delete